The Edinburgh Civic War Memorial–a secular symbol of remembrance

An inclusive secular monument of remembrance based on a design by Edwin Lutyens for all the dead of the First World War of diverse religions and none. To be found in all the larger Commonwealth War Graves Commission sites as well in front of Glasgow and Edinburgh City Chambers.

Thousands of Jews, Hindus, Muslims and Sikhs and Hindus died in the conflict on the allied side as well as Christians and those of other faiths and none. Rather than relying exclusively on the Christian symbolism the Commission decided that there should be an inclusive collective memorial for all in the shape of the Stone of Remembrance.

The Edinburgh memorial was Inaugurated 11 November 1927. Present at the event was Mrs Fraser of Holyrood Terrace who lost five sons in the war and who had never left her house previously on Armistice Day since the conclusion of the war nine years earlier.

For a detailed account of the history of Edinburgh’s Stone of Remembrance see the article in the World War 1 supplement of today’s (7 June 2014) Edinburgh Evening News, p11, by ESS Honorary President, Professor Norman Bonney. The article is not attributed.

Comments are closed.

Post Navigation